PDA

View Full Version : Oddest sight at old Comiskey Park

bobelou72
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
What was the oddest thing you rember about or saw at old Comiskey? I think mine was above the trough in one of the rest rooms was a sign Future white sox players dose anyone else ember that?

RedPinStripes
07-01-2005, 05:08 PM
The brown crusty **** that was stuck on some of the overhanging I-Beams. I wanted to say it was some kind of sealer at first, but it had to be some kind of 80 year old corrosion i've never seen.

pdimas
07-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I was kind of little and it was a packed house one night. The crowd surged forward and a man went over the railing. I remember thinking I had never seen so much blood in my life. It was just this big thick red puddle after they carted him away. I think my uncle later told me when I was older that the man had died. Kind of grim I know but it was just something that stuck with me.

Vernam
07-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, I was at Disco Demolition night, but the weirdest sight was when the roof caught fire down the third-base line during a "World Series of Rock" concert with Aerosmith, Rick Derringer and such. See a photo at http://www.cipherdom.com/pix/comiskeyfire.jpg. Unbelievably, there was no stampede, probably because most of the attendees were in altered states. :?: The concert went ahead as scheduled.

VC

Lip Man 1
07-01-2005, 05:57 PM
The oddest sight was any time Bill Veeck had a particular 'theme' night. Take your pick...Greek night, Polish night, Anti Superstition Night (complete with witches!) or any one of a multitude of others.

Lip

chisoxfan64
07-01-2005, 06:00 PM
What was the oddest thing you rember about or saw at old Comiskey? I think mine was above the trough in one of the rest rooms was a sign Future white sox players dose anyone else ember that?

I do remember that sign, and if I recall correctly it was above the ones mounted lower for the kids. That sign lied to me.

I remember down behind the picnic area, there were some pay phones and pinball machines. Even as a kid I thought it was weird to have pinball machines at the ballpark, who wanted to play pinball when there was a baseball game to watch? Didn`t see people playing too often.

SAVVY18
07-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Mine isn't weird like that, it's just kinda funny.

When I was a little kid,someone hit a homer over my head in the left field bleachers and it landed in this womans lap behind me. The funny thing was seeing 10 guys diving into her lap, searching for the "ball"...

Cubbiesuck13
07-01-2005, 06:28 PM
This is a great thread for guys like me who were to young to remember the old park. My dad took me many times along with my brothers and sister and the only thing I remember is yellow and green along with the arched windows. The pictures of the park that are around are great.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Seeing Sox fans cheer homeruns by Sammy Sosa!

Actually I was at a game when Sammy hit 2 HR's at the old park. I believe it was August 15, 1990. Where would I find that box score?

mccoydp
07-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Seeing Sox fans cheer homeruns by Sammy Sosa!

Actually I was at a game when Sammy hit 2 HR's at the old park. I believe it was August 15, 1990. Where would I find that box score?

This will help: http://baseball-almanac.com/teams/wsox.shtml

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I remember down behind the picnic area, there were some pay phones and pinball machines. Even as a kid I thought it was weird to have pinball machines at the ballpark, who wanted to play pinball when there was a baseball game to watch? Didn`t see people playing too often.

OH YEAH!!! I had totally forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me!! :D: :thumbsup:

chisoxfan64
07-01-2005, 07:39 PM
OH YEAH!!! I had totally forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me!! :D: :thumbsup:

My pleasure, I love talkin about old Comiskey.

kingpin_rcs
07-01-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure that this qualifies but does anybody remember "The Hooter"? He was an old guy in the box seats near the Sox dugout. Whenever the Sox were about to win he would stand up and start "hooting". Whooooooo! Whooooooo! Whoooooo! Crazy. It was Hawk that named him "The Hooter" during one game they even showed him and put "The Hooter" on the screen. I wonder what ever happened to that guy.

SaltyPretzel
07-01-2005, 07:46 PM
I liked the cheesey statues in the Picnic Area and the old-school cigarette machine on the concourse.

chisoxfan64
07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Anybody remember the older black man that sold peanuts, he was great. He used to walk around singing things like

Me and my peanuts wer`e a real good thing, Peeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaanuts!!!!!!
I used to make my father buy me a bag just so he would come over and talk to me and I really didn`t like peanuts.

jake27
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
i dont remember anything about the park itself, the only thing i really remember is opening day at the new comiskey and my dad and i watching the park being torn down. i wish i would have been born earlier so i could have experienced it, sounds like it was a real cool park

RedPinStripes
I miss Andy The clown.

Ok, the Sox are having a great season and JR has done good with the team, added payroll and done great things to the park, but i still have to throw a shot at him for this.

:reinsy
"When the new park opens, the clown has to pay. "

Banix12
I was at Seatcushion night in the late 80's. I believe the game was against Boston. Anyway the game wasn't all that interesting so people started going up to the upper deck in the outfield and throwing the seatcushions over the edge. For a few innings in a row the game had to be postponed because it was raining a solid sheet of white cushions onto the outfield and the groundscrew had to clean it all up.

And if that's not odd enough, Guillen and Grebeck hitting back to back HR's off Nolan Ryan is always up there with me

RedPinStripes
07-01-2005, 08:17 PM
i dont remember anything about the park itself, the only thing i really remember is opening day at the new comiskey and my dad and i watching the park being torn down. i wish i would have been born earlier so i could have experienced it, sounds like it was a real cool park

Funny, I was 15 when they wrecked it. I damn near cried watching the wrecking ball hit that place. The fans loved it, but most of the players home and away couldnt wait for the new park to open and the old one to go down. Ozzie Guillen was quoted around 89 or 90 saying "The place is a hole in the wall".

TommyJohn
07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I miss Andy The clown.

Terry Bevington took up the mantle for a while.

batmanZoSo
07-01-2005, 09:06 PM
My only two memories are sitting under the left field seats, among a crowd yelling for Steve Lyons to give them the 20 dollar bill that was laying in the outfield, and another time making friends with Dan Gladden's son, or so he claimed.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2005, 09:12 PM
This is a better site (no pop up's!)

http://www.retrosheet.org/

Lip

RedPinStripes
07-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Terry Bevington took up the mantle for a while.

Yes he did. :D:

robertks61
07-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Some of the banners "years from now you'll say you parked here" and "Washington slept here". Of course the "Sox Supporters" in left field.

Medford Bobby
07-01-2005, 10:09 PM
:?: It took me a while to remember this, but I once took a date out to Comiskey circa 1979. We decided to sit in the bleachers and it was fireworks night....yep, you guess it. I've never sat UNDER the scoreboard during fireworks night, and I remember being showered with spent firework debri...boy I'm a fun date....:(:

THE_HOOTER
07-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure that this qualifies but does anybody remember "The Hooter"? He was an old guy in the box seats near the Sox dugout. Whenever the Sox were about to win he would stand up and start "hooting". Whooooooo! Whooooooo! Whoooooo! Crazy. It was Hawk that named him "The Hooter" during one game they even showed him and put "The Hooter" on the screen. I wonder what ever happened to that guy.

You are the 1st person to remember me.

you are the #1 Sox fan on this board.

Good times.

StillMissOzzie
07-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Well, I was at Disco Demolition night, but the weirdest sight was when the roof caught fire down the third-base line during a "World Series of Rock" concert with Aerosmith, Rick Derringer and such. See a photo at http://www.cipherdom.com/pix/comiskeyfire.jpg. Unbelievably, there was no stampede, probably because most of the attendees were in altered states. :?: The concert went ahead as scheduled.

VC

I had a chance to go to DD, but I begged off. I was there for that "World Series of Rock" concert, though, and I resemble that remark!

SMO
:D:

Parrothead
07-02-2005, 02:50 AM
A Ron Kittle and Greg Luzinski had a double steal.

This was confirmed by the Grobber......"My memory tells me it DID indeed happen,and altho the pitch got away from the Catcher,they both get credit for steals since they were going on the pitch,and it's thus not a wild pitch. Now to see Konerko and Crede do that! (Nah,,that's a reach!). Take care!! Les"

my5thbench
07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
sometime in the '70s a Sunday doubleheader...it was Mexico Day thanks

to Mr Veeck, we drank one Mexican beer & hated it so we went back to

drinking the domestic stuff & lots of 'em & ate some great tacoes........

between games they had a bull fight. Minnie Minoso was the matador &

they drug out some ol' steer that he couldn't pi$$ off, it just stood there &

looked at ol' Minnie, finally some guy in a bull suit came out & chased him

around the outfield for a few lafffs

tebman
07-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I went to "Urban Cowboy" night -- it would've been 1979 or '80, and there was a mechanical bull there for patrons to show off their bovine-taming skills. The parade of characters trying to do that still makes me laugh. There's no real punch line to this story, just the memory of surrealism with the bull contraption swinging around on the outfield grass.

Other than that, I'd have to agree that Terry Bevington was the oddest thing I'd seen at a Sox game, though he wasn't in the old park.

BigEdWalsh
07-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Anybody remember the older black man that sold peanuts, he was great. He used to walk around singing things like

Me and my peanuts wer`e a real good thing, Peeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaanuts!!!!!!
I used to make my father buy me a bag just so he would come over and talk to me and I really didn`t like peanuts.

I remember the singing peanut guy. He was very cool.

The weidest thing I ever saw was a guy doing a headstand in centerfield wearing nothing but a Sox helmet and a pair of tennis shoes. It was Opening Day in '74. There were numerous streakers that day though several never made it on to the field. There were also several fights, actually more like brawls. One guy was getting strangled at the railing in the leftfield upper deck. I was in the rightfield lower deck. I thought both guys were going over. The Sox lost, I believe 8-2. It was an ugly, UGLY day. I blame it all on Ron Santo, he was DH.

white sox bill
07-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm thinking this was 1986...it was Kmart seat cushion day. LaRussa came out to argue a call. All's it took was ONE seat cushion to get thrown out on the field. Four seconds later, thousands of them came flying (except mine!). LaRussa just looked at the crowd in disbelief, threw his hands in the air. Guess you had to have been there!

TomBradley72
07-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Weirdest sights at games I attended...no particular order:

Astroturf infield/grass outfield
2/3's of the outfield = sand...due to rain during a huge concert
a few rats scurrying around while a friend and I sit on picnic tables at McCuddy's having a beer and a doobie (does McCuddy's count?)
Singing beer vendor: "keep your hubby chubby and he's a happy pappy"
Harassing the A's bus after a 1990 game...Canseco and Stewart start to to come after us off the bus
Disco Demolition
The crowd that hung out in the old CF bleachers (very cool...but a little different)
WSox win no-hitter vs. Hawkins
Walt Williams...he really didn't have a neck

JBJas42
07-03-2005, 12:51 AM
The weirdest thing I ever saw at Old Comiskey: Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hitting back-to-back homeruns off Nolan Ryan.

As a 10-year-old, I wasn't able to appreciate it at the time, but jeez... those two (19 and 28 career HRs respectively) hitting back to back jacks off hall of famer Ryan - that was crazy.

PeteWard
07-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Me buying gin and tonics at the bar under the stands behind first base. I was 15!

The batting cage and pitching machine under the grandstand somewhere. You'd sometimes see players hitting during the game if they were not in the line up.

The automated ball basket that disappeared under the trapdoor behind home plate.

A foul ball had come to rest on top of the screen and sat there for like five innings vs Milwakee in 80 or 81. At the very end of the game a drunk guy decises he wants it and climbs the screen. het gets it, is rudely rousted by security, handcuffed and taken away but is seen a half hout later outside the park. WITH THE BALL.

The shower in the CF bleachers.

I don't even like hotdogs but there was a vendor outside the park behind home plate who sold the best hot dogs ever.

Sitting behind Jason Robards about six rows behind home plate. he was alone. Hardly moved the entire game except to relight his cigar.

The smell of the stockyards on a hot August night.

PeteWard
07-03-2005, 01:03 AM
The weirdest thing I ever saw at Old Comiskey: Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hitting back-to-back homeruns off Nolan Ryan.

As a 10-year-old, I wasn't able to appreciate it at the time, but jeez... those two (19 and 28 career HRs respectively) hitting back to back jacks off hall of famer Ryan - that was crazy.

Funny. I saw the Sox hammer him two or three times when he was with Cal.

TornLabrum
07-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Dave Gallager hitting his only home run of 1989 into the first row in left field.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Dave Gallager hitting his only home run of 1989 into the first row in left field.

Ahhh, Dave Gallagher... haven't heard THAT name in a while!

"Long Live the Stride-Tutor!" :D:

chitownhawkfan
07-03-2005, 02:08 AM
I think this qualifies as pretty weird

:andy

And then Uncle Jerry had the audacity to replace me with these losers
:R&R

NWSox
07-03-2005, 02:18 AM
I remember a couple of nuns giving Jerry Remy of the Red Sox a hard time.

I was also at DD night, and the night when the Sting beat San Diego in a shootout to advance to the championship game in 1981. Everyone ran on to the field and the Andy Frain guys were doing nothing to stop people, except when I ran out, the guy stuck his foot out and I went flying. I got up and ran around the field for awhile.

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Me buying gin and tonics at the bar under the stands behind first base. I was 15!

Sitting behind Jason Robards about six rows behind home plate. he was alone. Hardly moved the entire game except to relight his cigar.

Two things...
1) When I was 15, I could barely keep down two PBR's, let alone multiple gin & tonics :cool:

2) The other night on tvland-channel, I watched The Day After, which in itself brought back memories... like thinking that the world will eventually go to hell in a hand basket :D:

BTW, Jason Robards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Robards) was a Chicagoan who saw extensive combat in WWII while in the Navy.

TommyJohn
07-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking this was 1986...it was Kmart seat cushion day. LaRussa came out to argue a call. All's it took was ONE seat cushion to get thrown out on the field. Four seconds later, thousands of them came flying (except mine!). LaRussa just looked at the crowd in disbelief, threw his hands in the air. Guess you had to have been there!

I was there. I was working as a vendor that year, and I remember that game
quite well. The crowd booed the call, then there was a shower of seat cushions.
The PA announcer finally came on and warned that everyone was risking a
forfeit with their behavior. I want to say that game was against Boston, but
I don't recall.

nordhagen
07-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I think this qualifies as pretty weird

:andy

And then Uncle Jerry had the audacity to replace me with these losers
:R&R

You mean you didn't like Jerry and Eddie dressed up in their official Sox garb?? I remember one Saturday game in the early 80s where those dopes were on three-wheel bikes and one of them ran into the temporary fence in center field, knocking part of it down and delaying the game for at least 10 minutes.

The Grebeck-Ozzie homers off Ryan were part of an awesome all-around night and an awesome all-around year. It was the last twi-night DH in the history of the old park and there was a long rain delay to start where I recall a guy climbing over the left-field wall at the foul pole, racing all the way down the line to the home plate and doing a belly flop on the tarp. We sat in right field and harassed Pete Incaviglia with "Stinky" chants all night. We thought we had run out of money late in the first game when my brother foolishly mentioned he had cashed his paycheck and kept us in great spirits the rest of the way.

One of my other favorites from that year was the July 4 game against the Tigers. It was hot as heck - about 96 degrees - and a night game. After the national anthem they either shot off a cannon or fireworks and the boom resulted in Cecil Fielder jumping about three feet in the air. The game went about 12 innings and somewhere around the 10th my friend Dave came back shouting - I got the last two beers in the park!!!! This was obviously before last-call limits, etc...

And one last one, at a Sunday game late in September, Steve Palermo was umping first and one of my buddies had seen highlights from earlier that week where he had gotten hit in the shins with a bunch of pitches. So he started yelling to him "How are your shins" and we joined in - alternating between calling him Palermo and Palmero because of the number of beers we had. He knew what we were talking about so he would look over and just laugh at us and was a real good sport about it. The sad part is I believe it was that winter where he was shot trying to thwart a robbery and his umpiring career was over.

RadioheadRocks
07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
While it doesn't qualify as "odd", I remember back in the 80s there was this old man who always sat at the back of the center field bleachers and he had a bell he always rang. I can't for the life of me remember what his name was, but he had to be in his 80s. I have a copy of the 1985 White Sox highlight video (ordered it directly from SportsVision years ago!) and he appears in a brief shot at the beginning of the video!

One "odd" thing I remember about this old guy is that he somehow made it to County Stadium for a Sox-Brewers game sometime in the mid 80s... I definitely remember seeing him on TV a few times during that game, ringing his bell and everything! Anyone else remember seeing him at the games?

DrummerGeorgefan
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM

Totally remember that. It was a little lower for the kids (like me at the time). The best was when some drunk would stand next to all the kids and pee, to a volley of bronx cheers.

redOzone
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I remember a game where Fisk hit a HR that landed in fair territory but a fan caught the ball who was sitting in foul territory after a lot of arguing they gave Fisk a ground rule double, the fans were chanting Bull S... and Tony got thrown out of the game after he picked up third and threw it into the camera area. That was a fun time for a 10 year old.

I also remember being at a game when they had models come out to the field to show 4 different styles of uniforms to the crowd? Donít remember if there was a vote but this must have been in í81 for the soon to be new í82 Jersey. Iíd like to see the ones that didnít get picked.

What happened to all the messed up cop cars from the Blues Brothers at the Ashland exit off 55?

CubsSuckMySox
07-06-2005, 11:05 PM
This is actually a story from my dad:

A promotion for one game gave the first thousand fans to enter the park a seat coushin with the Sox logo on one side and the sponsor on the other. After a really bad call by the ump, the crowd began booing uncontrollably, and the seat coushin's were whipped out onto the field by the hundreds.

The game was stopped for almost 45 minutes so that the coushins could be removed from the field, and my dad says that since that day, seat coushins have never been given out as a promotion again.

(Sorry if someone's already posted this one!)

ode to veeck
07-06-2005, 11:46 PM
I miss the old Yago Sangria seat cushions

TornLabrum
07-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I miss slogging out the left field gate about ankle deep in liquid seeping out from the men's restroom.

Urban Legend
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I remember a rainy, hot, humid Monday night game against the A's in '90, in late July or August, when feelings were running hot between the Sox and A's. The game was held up for an hour or two by rain, and the corridors beneath the stands were crowded, a lot of Sox fans taking the opportunity to chat and down a few brews. All of a sudden, I heard a commotion and saw a big guy in an Athletics uniform and warm-up jacket, Felix Jose, in stocking feet, making his way through the crowd, asking where the A's clubhouse door was. People were pointing him inthe wrong direction, and everyone was laughing as he was last seen excusing his way through the crowd down the right field line, past Mac's beer stand, way past the A's clubhouse.

That was the time when the A's came to town shortly after Dave Stewart said the Sox couldn't carry his jock. When he came out to warm up, Sox 'supporters' pelted him with jocks. What I also remember about that game was Jose Canseco hitting a ball foul over the left field roof off of (I think) Jack McDowell. I was sitting in a direct line with the left field foul pole, and the ball was so high over the roof that I don't see how the umpires could have made a ruling. Canseco just shook his head when they said it was foul and stepped back in. I think it was also raining, which further impaired the view.

Speaking of Mac...do you remember Mac's setup underneath the first base stands? All the beer cartoons piled up, Mac sweating profusely, popping the tops on the beer bottles. Good guy, Mac. He and the older lady he works with now sell Heinekens between first and the right field foul pole and have an excellent view of the game. Wonder how long he worked his stand at old Comiskey?

I was at the game when the Sox little guys went back-to-back on Ryan, then he drilled Grebeck in the ribs. Isn't that the story of why Ventura went out to fight Ryan in Texas after he got hit? I heard that the Sox had a pact that whoever got hit next by Ryan would go out to the mound and challenge him, superstar or not, because the Sox were fed up with Ryan knocking them down and hitting them. Seeing the tape, you can see Robin roll his eyes and look upward, almost as if to say, 'Why did it have to be me?' before he ran to the mound, then respectfully grabbed Ryan instead of throwing a punch as Ryan cowardly pounded him with noogies. Big tough guy, Nolan Ryan. I lost all rerspect for him then. Robin wasn't even trying to fight. I heard later that Ryan apologized to Ventura. But I still have little respect for Ryan because of that, and because with all his talent, he still was little more than a .500 pitcher.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-07-2005, 01:59 PM
The oddest thing I remember from Old Comiskey (other than the aforementioned back-to-back jacks by Grebeck and Guillen) was an argument between two inebriated fans. I was in the left field lower deck bleachers shortly after the Ron Kittle-for-Phil Bradley trade, and some guy in the upper deck in foul territory started getting on PB's case for no apparent reason. He was yelling stuff like, "You suck, bring back Kittle..." until a big guy in my section with a booming voice spotted the offender and yelled, "HEY, UPPER DECK -- SHUT UP!!!" Then to PB, "DON'T LISTEN TO THAT ****. WE LOVE YOU, PHIL..." When the obnoxious guy in foul territory kept getting on PB, the big guy started trying to get everybody in our section chanting "UPPER DECK SUCKS! UPPER DECK SUCKS!"
What a riot. Even Phil Bradley was laughing...

chitown05
07-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I was at that game where guillen and grebeck went back to back off ryan. What was even stranger is that they each pulled him down the line, Grebeck to left, Guillen to right. Two little guys cinchin up real short and quick.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Other than that, I'd have to agree that Terry Bevington was the oddest thing I'd seen at a Sox game, though he wasn't in the old park.

Yes he was. He was the 3B coach during the '90 season.

soxrme
07-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I think the sign mentioned before "Washington slept here" was the funniest poster ever made. A great moment for me was when Bert Campaneris was the A's shortstop and had slashed Dwayne Josephson (our catcher) in an earlier game. He came home on a play at the plate and saw Josephson had the ball and wanted not part of him. He came in kind of slow and Dwayne just nailed him with the tag and kind of threw him down.
That sign futurs Sox fans was over lowered troughs in a couple of washrooms.
Nellie Fox night was great.
Any game with the Yankees in the late 50's were sellouts and almost all great games. I can still remember the smoke hanging over the field.
Bill Veeck and Paul Richards and one other man on opening day 1976 dressed as Revolutionary soldiers, Veeck with his peg leg, hilarious.
6th game of the world series and still wondering WHY NOT BILLY PIERCE???:bandance:

davenicholson
07-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I miss the old Yago Sangria seat cushions
I actually still have two of those from a game (c. 1982, I think) I took the (future) Mrs. davenicholson to! I remember that we got there early, and were wandering around downstairs, all the better for me to show off that beautiful area! I saw what looked like a high-school kid in full Sox gear walk by, and I was about to go into full mock-mode, when I realized that it was Rich Dotson! And not a soul said a word to him, let alone approached him. When I pointed him out to my future wife and told her that he was a pitcher for the Sox, she of course didn't believe me. I called out something inane, to the effect of, "Hey Rich, when's your next start"? He turned, smiled and said, "Next Wednesday". He actually seemed pleased to have been recognized.

Bucky F. Dent
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Anyone else remember the game in the late seventies (I think) when there was a fire in the first base clubhouse. If I remember right, they had to call the game.

Madvora
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
What happened to all the messed up cop cars from the Blues Brothers at the Ashland exit off 55?
Nice! That's one memory I definitely have.

Shafe72
07-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Memorial Day, 1990 vs. NYY: As Gene Honda asks the crowd to stand for a moment of silence, which is interrupted 30 seconds later by the words "Yankees Suck!" are shouted from the upperdeck. After Mel Hall K's for out number 2 in the 5th, Fisk tosses the ball to the home plate ump (as he often did, instead of rolling the ball back to the mound). Fortunately, there was no one was on base. Fisk and Torborg look at each other and laugh.

June 17, 1990 vs. OAK: My birthday and Father's Day--Sox and A's old timers square off before the game, many of the Sox's old timers from the 50's and 60's, and all of the A's "old timers" had retired in the '80's. So classy of that organization....

June 30, 1990 vs. NYY: 1-0 win off of Kittle's solo homer...watched most of the game from the picnic area with teammates from my little league team, even when a drunk, shirtless fan relentlessly taunted Mel Hall and then relieved himself about 10 feet away from us...Calderon made a sick diving catch in the late innings to fend off a Yanks rally.

Skippy
07-07-2005, 04:19 PM
This is a great thread for guys like me who were to young to remember the old park. My dad took me many times along with my brothers and sister and the only thing I remember is yellow and green along with the arched windows. The pictures of the park that are around are great.

Agreed. My first game was in '85, and I was 6 years old. I remember hanging my Sox towel over the railing in the upper deck and my mom making me take it off because it was dangerous. Then my dad gave me a sip of beer.

I remember being there for roof top shot on cold, drizzly night game in 89 or 90. I think it was an April game. I still have the program from Comiskey's last season laying around somewhere.

ADDED: I also remember having my picture taken with a Sox player. I think it was Joel Skinner. I'll have to go find the picture and see who it is.

TornLabrum
07-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Another one I remember is at an A's game, after Dave Stewart making the comment about none of the Sox being good enough to carry his jock, some fans in the left field upper deck lowered a giant jock strap in his honor

Urban Legend
07-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Does anyone remember who Nolan Ryan drilled in the ribs after Grebeck and Guillen went back-to-back on him? I have the scorecard somewhere....buried in the archives.......I can find it and look it up if no one remembers....One Dog? Scotty Fletcher? It was in '90, I believe.

My advice to young White Six fans (I'm fifty-six)...always keep score...even if you don't totally watch every play because you're talking with a buddy, in the john, buying a beer....In Steve Rushin's column (Sports Illustrated), about a month ago, he said that Phil Rizzuto's scorecard (Phil was an announcer after his playing days with the Yankees) was replete with 'WW' in many of the boxes. When someone asked Phil what that meant, he said, 'Wasn't watching.'

Wordwoman
07-08-2005, 04:45 PM
One of my funniest memories was a night maybe around 1980 when they had entertainment during the 7th inning stretch by a troupe of Medieval Age characters from some sort of Renaissance Faire.

It was a great game, and the fans wanted to get back to the baseball action. These wannabee Shakespearian actors started S-L-O-W-L-Y prancing and strolling around the edges of the field saying things like "Would ye like to kiss this fair maiden's hand" and "Would ye like to eat this leg of mutton?"

By the time they got to the outfield, one guy in the stands started it with "Would ye like a beer on your head if you don't get the hell out of here?" Fan after fan started dousing them with beers yelling the same thing------and a few other things-----so that they literally started running for their lives----robes flailing in the wind. It's a great memory.